Tuesday 3 December 2019

Becoming Miss Scarlet...

I regularly costume model for drawing events and recently did a Cluedo themed drawing night where I got the opportunity to play Miss Scarlet! It was such a fun night and I loved the opportunity to get my murderess on! For this post I thought I'd share a bit about what went into costume modelling behind the scenes.


Firstly I searched for images of Miss Scarlet from the famous board game and various TV shows to get an idea of how she looks. I then compiled an outfit to fit the character. Usually I use things I already have, but sometimes I borrow items from friends. I rarely buy any new bits unless they are something I know I'll love and want to wear again.

For this outfit I put together a vampy red dress with a fascinator and some black leather gloves I thought would be perfect for murdering someone and not leaving any prints!


I then worked with the event organiser to put together an itinerary for the evening including the number of poses and the length of each pose. This was a drawing session for all levels so I wanted to keep it fun and mix up short poses with longer ones. I also like to take into consideration what props I can use and this time I had the full compliment of Cluedo weapons! With this in mind I tried out different poses in front of a mirror and jotted down the ones I thought worked well. When posing I like to keep things interesting and think about shapes and angles as well as staying in character to give the drawers something different each time.


On the day I took some time to do my hair and makeup then packed my case, traveled to the venue and got changed there. Changing rooms for this type of thing are usually a back room or toilet as can be seen in this ever so glamorous toilet selfie at the Cluedo night.


It was a really fun evening with my posing accompanied by a playlist of jazz classics to help further set the mood. The participants really got into the spirit of things and created some brilliant drawings. I love to check out what everyone has captured and thought this night's work was especially good.









I'll be modeling again THIS Thursday (5th Dec) at Bloom Coffee Co in Bury for a special Christmas themed drawing event with Ale and Arty. There'll be an amazing playlist of cool seasonal music as well as prizes to be won and some fun costumes to draw. Hope to see you there!


No comments: