Tuesday 3 November 2009

9 to 5


Miss How Can I Help You? #1 Acrylic on canvas 2006

This week I thought I'd re-visit some of my older work, as it occured to me many people see my paintings but not everyone knows the story behind the images.

I chose my paintings from a dyptich called '9 to 5' because I recently showed this work in Manchester and also I am seeing the model for 'Miss How Can I help You? #1', tonight and I thought it would be a nice idea.


Miss How Can I Help You? #2 Acrylic on canvas 2006

I painted these two paintings as a response to my utterly soul destroying job as a receptionist!

Whilst working behind the reception desk I was inspired to curate a collective exhibition of work about the boring day jobs artists have to do in order to fund their art.

Hence '9 to 5' took place in 2006 with twelve artists from across the UK showing work about their 'work'.

My artistic input was the two portraits of myself and my collegue, also an artist. I turned our dull demoralising job into a kitsch fantasy where we were only too happy to answer the phone and help.

Needless to say, neither of us are receptionists now!

1 comment:

Niall young said...

Whoever you used to work for, it's their loss! Artists like actors work to enable themselves to pursue their art....your idea to base an exhibition of work by artists in those jobs was inspired!