Tuesday 28 April 2009

Tattoos, News and Meows...



Lots of bits an pieces to pass on this week!

Firstly The Chantilly Belles are performing this Sunday at the Llandudno Victorian Festival! We are taking to the main stage at 8pm. You can find detials about the listings and running order of the weekend at: http://victorian-extravaganza.co.uk



We also have a new Facebook page so if you'd like to become a friend find us at: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=1737104154&ref=profile

My nautical tattoo paintings are coming on well! Above you can see how far I'm up to with the Rack and Ruin painting.

I've found I've had to approah this work in a totally different way to my usual paintings; It helps to apply a strong outline first instead of last or if at all, as this really helps give you a better idea of how the finished piece will look and just like a real tattoo the outline is the key element which holds the whole thing together. Also I've had to think about new ways of shading and chosen a very cartoony style which works well. I've also found it's much easier to work flat on these images rather than using a easel.
I am currently working on two other designs which I hope to begin next week some time. Here's a couple of great tattoo studios I've found in my research which you also might enjoy! I loved the work of Gungho Tattoo! Very classical and vibrant and high quality! and Memento Mori have some great examples of nautical art work.

And now for a new section to this blog. I'm calling it 'Rainbow Watch'. A very dear friend of mine has recently commissioned me to paint her little pussycat Rainbow after seeing my painting 'American Curl'.


American Curl 16" x 20" Acrylic on canvas

This isn't the kind of commission I usually take on but as I knew Rainbow personally I couldn't resist! This painting is going to be worked on slowly over the next few months in between other projects so look out for Rainbow's progress in the coming weeks! To see more of my work go to my website: www.gemmaparker.co.uk


1 comment:

Gabbi said...

oh wow G! This is my first blog, can u believe it i'm blogging! This is coming from the girl who is usually technically inept! I'l say it again- 'WOW!' I know its not the finished product but already it fills me with such joy to see the piece so far. Just looking at puss on the big screen is like you've brought my special baby back to life! Me, Urs and Ma are all touching our pearls. Love it! Love It! Love It! I can't wait for the finished article and shall be eagerly following her progress. I wouldn't want any other artist to take on this project but you, Gabz. xxxxs