Tuesday 10 February 2009

Stewed, scewed and tattooed.

Carrying on from last week; I am researching vintage sailor tattoos for a new series of paintings based on the classic style and inspired by nautical phrases. My findings so far have covered some of the symbolism and history of this artfrom which I plan to expand on later...

However this week I wanted to highlight once again the genuis that was 'Sailor Jerry', the daddy of sailor tattoos and the original creator of the iconic look copied by many ever since. I've been wondering about him as a person and how he came up with his designs and what inspired his look. Then I found out about a documentary called 'Hori Smoku Sailor Jerry', I can't seem to find out much about this but have found some clips on youtube. If anyone knows where I can get a copy please let me know. In the meantime enjoy this snippet of machismo, tough guy living and bad language which seems to have summed up Sailor Jerry's attutude to life:


No comments: