Tuesday 24 February 2009

Caricature for Nelly B Page and news on The Chantilly Belles!

News about The Chantilly Belles!:



The Chantilly Belles are to be included in a major exhibition this summer at The Lowry! 'Expess Yourself' will be an exhibition dedicated to dance and will showcase all forms of dance from tap, ballet, tea dances and you guessed it, burlesque! The aim is to show dance is for everyone and encourage people of all ages to embrace the music!
We are to be filmed being interviewed and performing soon so watch this space... Exhibition details to follow.

For more news and details about The Chantilly Belles and upcoming events go to our page at: www.myspace.com/thechantillybelles.


Caricature for Nelly B Page:


This week I thought I show you some of the other work I've been doing whilst working on the vintage tattoo project: See post for 3rd Feb 2009

I was recently commissioned by Oxford DJ Nelly B Page to create a caricature to promote her upcoming spot on OX4 Radio 87.9 FM. Nelly also DJ's at Trashy in Oxford's new Carling Academy every Saturday in the Zodiac Room. She is a busy bunny!

I wanted to convey a feeling of 60's glamour as Nelly is well known for her BIG hair and retro styles, but also I thought this was a great way to get across that this is a DJ with a difference. She plays a wide range of music and is well knowledged about all things popular culture, just ask her, go on I dare you!
I started off by doing some rough sketches and ended up choosing this one which I thought had a lot of appeal:



As you can see, I couldn't decide how her rigth foot should look at first. It took a bit of shuffling about and sitting in that position to figure it out. I then inked in the outline:



I then drew out a vintage style record player on a seperate sheet and scanned it in. I used tracing paper to get the size correct. Once I had it right I then tranferred it to the image of the figure and printed it out. I used only three colours in this drawing as I wanted to keep it simple and punchy:



I just had to clean the image up and add a few finishing touches and it was finished as you can see above (right at the start).

No comments: