Wednesday 13 May 2009

Naughty nautical update!



Hooray, I have overcome my technical difficulties and can now share with you what I've been up to:
Rack and Ruin is now finished. This nautical saying literally means shipwrecked, no hope and despair! So when it's all gone to rack and ruin for you remember, it could be worse! As for this poor sailor girl, she's in a pretty bad way. The seaweed around the main picture is actually called 'Wrack' and I added octopuses (apparently 'Octopi' is not grammatically correct as I thought) to symbolise the depths of the sea and the slippery creatures that could soon be feasting on her unfortunate bones!

I also decided to show you a painting I did some time ago; although it's not based on a nautical saying I really enjoyed putting this piece together and I think it has a similar melancholy feel related to the sea.



A Sailor Stole My Heart, was inspired by a line I read in a magazine. The girl in this painting is one the many women who have fallen for sailors on shore leave, men who aren't looking for long-term relationships, just a good time before they ship off to a differnt far flung destination. This lady is crying for her lost love, her limbs and torso also make up the shape of an anchor, whilst the nautical stars symbolise the Navy and also might help navigate her away from this upsetting situation.

No comments: